Friday, May 2, 2014

Calgary Expo Day 2: Whoa

SO!

Saturday was by far the most interesting day, albeit the most exhausting. Chris and I were up early to don our steampunk costumes. We did our hair and makeup and cinched ourselves into our corsets.
Chris was pretty excited
to get her hair all did:)
Excited to actually have
time to do my makeup for
a change, lol.


My corset and hat were made by the immensely talented Nikki at Dark Knits Boutique. (Side Note: Wearing my first costume at my first comic-con, I now know to carry extra business cards of who made my costume-soooo many people asked about it!)

I was pretty excited to get there and hook up with my other BFF Sherene! One of my favorite pics from the weekend is of the three of us all steampunked out<3
Ah, love this:-D
The weather was pretty crappy this day, snowing and blowing all over. As a result, I missed a few panels because it was just too cold for me to stand outside and wait in line. My teeth were chattering several times this day.
The first panel that I wanted to go to was called Being Hobbit and it featured Billy Boyd and Sean Astin. Chris and I were part of a crowd of about 500 that ended up getting cut off, so there were many that missed out.
 

It was a lot of fun, with Billy and Sean sharing memories and stories from their time filming LOTR 15 years ago. (I know, it makes me feel old too.) My favorite moment was when this was said:
Sean: My youngest daughter is 8.
Billy: Wait, wait, oh my God.
Sean: What.
Billy: So your daughter is 8. And my son turns 8 TODAY. (Audience "awwws") And in the books your daughter and my son get married! (Audience freaks out) Can you imagine?! How cool is that?!

The panel ended with Billy filming Sean and all of us singing Happy Birthday to his son, Jack. Super fun stuff:)

I intended to go to the Bruce Campbell panel next (alone, I might mention, as my friends bailed on me for Felicia Day, lol). The lineup was outside however, and I was without a jacket. When I went in to retrieve said jacket, I promptly failed to remember where our locker was. Awesome. The line outside was astronomical now, and I was pretty sure even if I joined the line and froze my ass off, I wouldn't get in anyways. Boo.
This thought process worked it's way through my mind as I stood in between a set of the doors in and out. Then a totally random thing happened: a man came up and literally shoved me over, saying, "Stand aside! Stand aside!" Rather shocked at his bold behavior, I did move over, when an entourage of about 12-15 people shuffled through the doors, all surrounding a befuddled and very artificial-looking Joan Rivers. She saw the trickling snow, gave an exclamation of alarm, and was herded outside. (Side Note: Joan Rivers was not scheduled for any event at the Expo. So really, WTF was she there for? So odd...)

I ended up wandering the booths for a couple hours, mentally noting all the stuff I wanted to get. (Side Note: I did pick myself up a pretty sweet She-Hulk shirt:) There was also such a huge volume of people, that I couldn't even really look at all the costumes people were wearing. I didn't take many pictures this day at all; I think I was in a bit of an overload.
Spaceballs!
I don't know what character this
guest is cosplaying, but I was
just so impressed with it!!

Skesis!
Spirited Away!


Apparently some guy ran
up and snapped a shot of
my breasts while I posed.
Classy.


Once I was reunited with ma girls, we got in at the last minute to the first panel we all actually wanted to see: Parasol Dueling in Steampunk Style. This was a super fun panel led by members of The Steampunk Arts and Science Society that explored the fictional history of the women's sport of parasol dueling.
Snub!
After that I zipped over to a panel called My Mother is an Alien: Lt. Ripley-From Virgin to Mother. This was a rather dull panel that explored the conversion of Weaver's character in each film. I ended up  leaving after they discussed the second film, as I've never seen the third or fourth.

The three of us shopped around and ended up totally losing track of time, thus missing the costume contest we wanted to watch. I had a few friends that were going to enter, so I'm bummed we missed it:-(

We went for Ramen after leaving the Expo, and it was delicious! I've been craving it ever since, and my instant noodles come nowhere near it! Need to find a place here that has them!

Somehow, I made it through the day, though I was dying to get the corset off. Almost 12 hours in my first corset left me bruised and exhausted. I practically fell into my bed at Christal's that night.
But still excited for one more day...

No comments:

Post a Comment