Sunday, May 11, 2014

Calgary Expo Day 3: Good to Go

By the third day of heading to the expo, it felt like I was going to visit old friends.
We began our day there by catching the Capoeira Camara Performance, which was super cool.
Here is a one-minute video I took of these amazing guys and gals:
After that I caught a panel called "Aliens and Beowulf" that drew links between the two. Was quite interesting! Chris and Sherene were at another panel so I wandered around for a bit. We all met up and shopped for some art!
Th day before, Christal had spoken to immensely talented local artist/author Mike Boldt about drawing up a pic of the three of us in our steampunk costumes. The result was fantastic!!
How awesome is this?!?!

I also bought a piece (a SWEET pic of Yoda) from Mr. Boldt, as well as some amazing work by Brian Hoang, Ann Crowe, and Molly Nemecek aka Jakface. I collected business cards from a small army of booths too, and have finally tracked them all down on their various sites and liked/followed, etc.
We also made use of the TapSnap booth again and did a Harry Potter themed picture together. Yeah!
Hogwarts is burning!! Nooooooo!!

We then caught a panel put on by The Harry Potter Alliance members from EPIC about How Fandom is Changing the World. It was interesting to see how people are taking their mutual love for things and using it to make the work a better place:)
Also finally ran into some other friends, including the stunning Vampire Nomad in her incredible CSI cosplay, made custom by Dark Knits Boutique:-)

We also ran into Benny, Batman and Emmet, as well as a great Darth Maul paint job!


We finished the day off at the How to Write (Quality) Fantasy panel given by Calgary author Jodi McIsaac, who was informative and charming. I always love hearing about how other authors organize their thoughts and work. 
This marked the end of the con, and the building was certainly empty. We were definitely ready to go too. It had been an incredible 3 days, but we were truly exhausted. I'm guessing we walked for around 20-24 hours over the 3 days, not to mention the occasional *squee* jump.
I know Edmonton has expanded its con this year to 3-days, and I'm really hoping to go. I think I'll enjoy a smaller con, with less people, but I know that means it won't draw the celebrities a larger con would.
Ah, we'll see, I guess.
Overall feeling on the weekend: Aces!



No comments:

Post a Comment